Advice for travels to Portugal from the Ministry of Foreigner Affairs of Portugal.
Statment from the Portugues Ministry of Foreigner Affairs website.
Free Translation from Portuguese to English.
Issued on the 9th February 2022.
1. Which countries are air traffic authorized for?
In accordance with Decree-Law no. 22/2022, Resolution of the Council of Ministers no. 17/2022, and Order no. :
1. Passengers from EU countries and countries associated with the Schengen Area (Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, and Switzerland), Brazil, the United States of America, and the United Kingdom.
2. Passengers from Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Chile, Colombia, South Korea, United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Kuwait, New Zealand, Peru, Qatar, People's Republic of China, Rwanda, Uruguay; Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau; and territorial entities and authorities not recognized as countries by at least one Member State: Taiwan, subject to reciprocity;
3. Passengers coming from countries other than those mentioned in the previous paragraphs, exclusively for essential travel (see FAQ No. 2 on the concept of essential travel).
Travel, for any reason, to Portugal is allowed by travelers with an EU COVID Digital Certificate in the vaccination modality (which attests to the completion of the primary vaccination series of the respective holder, more than 14 days ago and less than 270 days since the last dose or the taking of a booster dose of a market-authorized COVID-19 vaccine) and in the recovery mode. Travel is also allowed for travelers in possession of a digital vaccination certificate recognized as equivalent to the EU COVID Digital Certificate, or accompanied by proof of vaccination whose recognition has been determined by the order provided for in paragraph 3 of article 4. º of Decree-Law No. 54-A/2021, of 25 June, in its current wording, here), under conditions of reciprocity and only when they integrate the data fields listed in Annex II of Order No. 1575-A/2022.
2. What is essential travel?
Under Resolution No. 135-A/2021, which stipulates restrictive measures for air traffic, the following are considered essential:
a) Travel made for professional, study, family, health, or humanitarian reasons;
b) Travel intended to allow the return to the respective countries of foreign citizens who are in mainland Portugal, provided that such flights are promoted by the competent authorities of such countries, subject to prior request and agreement, and in compliance with the principle of reciprocity.
3. I am Portuguese and I live abroad, can I travel to Portugal?
Yes, the return to Portugal of nationals is allowed. However, and taking into account the restrictions on air traffic coming from third countries, it is recommended to consult the authorized flights and/or confirm the flight with the airline. You should also pay attention to restrictions on arrival, namely with regard to testing (cfr. FAQ No. 8 in this regard).
4. I am Portuguese and I am in a country with no flights to Portugal. Can I return with a stopover in another country?
Yes, there are no restrictions on the return to Portugal of nationals, whatever their origin. However, travellers should inquire about possible entry conditions in the country of transit from the airline or local authorities. You should also pay attention to restrictions on arrival, namely with regard to testing (cfr. FAQ No. 8 in this regard).
5 . I am a citizen of the European Union, can I travel or transit through Portugal?